24: Success in a Multi-Generational Business w/ Jessica Hall
Today’s Guest is Jessica Hall of Harmony Harvest Farm.
“I am a stay at home mom working hard to make our family farm business successful. I select the flowers we grow, determine planting dates, plant the beds, harvest the flowers, arrange the flowers, invoice the flowers…. since it’s a small family business, we all wear a lot of hats around here!
I have always had a love and interest in horticulture even as a child. In high school, I was a member of the FFA’s horticulture club and participated in horticulture design events (landscape design on a state level, and floral design on a national level). As a teenager, I worked for a landscape company and also a florist. I attended Virginia Tech and graduated with a degree in Horticulture and then spent the next six years working in horticulture distribution, designing greenhouses, consulting with growers, and providing technical assistance on greenhouses and chemical recommendations on crops. Due to that job, I served one year as chair on the North American Horticultural Suppliers Association (NAHSA).
Since we decided for me to become a stay at home mom in 2010, I began to devote more time to developing our dream of owning a farm. Due to the relationships I formed within the horticulture industry, I learned invaluable lessons from my former customers’ experiences and I applied this knowledge when formulating our business plan for Harmony Harvest.”
- “So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise.” ~ Ephesians 5:15
- Meet with other people who specialize in your field to ask questions and get ideas from.
- Maintain what you are aspiring to do. Make sure you AND your customers, walk away satisfied.
- You want to make sure your customers come away from the service with what they came looking for. Whether it’s with your business or not.
- “Communicating and educating go hand and hand with the marketing of your business.”
- We have to stay educated and caught up with what the public is needing and wanting.
- Let people feel that they are apart of your story strengthens your connections and relationships with your customers and partners.
- Passion. You have to have a passion for what you are doing.
- Social Media is a great way to publicize your business in this world today.
- “Happiness is held in the seed, but happiness is shared in the flower” ~ John Hagreen
- “Flower farmers just smell better.”
- [Tweet “”So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise.” ~ Ephesians 5:15″]
- [Tweet “Meet with other people who specialize in your field to ask questions and get ideas from. @harmonyhrvst”]
- [Tweet “”Communicating and educating go hand and hand with the marketing of your business.” @harmonyhrvst”]
- [Tweet “Let people feel that they are apart of your story. @harmonyhrvst”]
- [Tweet “Passion. You have to have a passion for what you are doing. @harmonyhrvst”]
- [Tweet “”Happiness is held in the seed, but happiness is shared in the flower” ~ John Hagreen”]
- [Tweet “”Flower farmers just smell better.” @harmonyhrvst”]
- Harman Construction
- The Solomon Effect – Virtual Course
- Ephesians 5:15
- Harmony Harvest Farm – Family-owned Cut-flower Farm
- The Bible
For complete show notes and clickable links go to www.BrianMininger.com/SBR24