I heard it said one time that “Leaders are readers!”
I am not sure who said it, but I know that it is true. Now, I understand that reading can take a lot of forms (you can even listen to a book), but one way or another we need to be “reading.”
When we read we stimulate our minds, learn new skills and grow ourselves. I have loved to read ever since I was young. I know that for some people reading is difficult. But, with resources like Audible.com and Kindle books that can be read on your smartphone, we no longer have an excuse.
Years ago when I stepped out and started my own construction company I had a problem. My background and experience was as a “technician.” I did not have any experience or training in running a business. I also did not have time to “go back to school” and get a business degree. I needed to get to work and provide for my family. Therefore, I had to find other ways to learn how to run a business. Reading was one of those ways I learned and developed myself.
[Tweet “To grow our businesses we must grow our leadership, to grow our leadership we must grow ourselves”]
Reading is one of the best ways to grow ourselves!
Here are my top 10 books for Small Business Owners
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It – Michael Gerber
- Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World – Michael Hyatt
- Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers into Friends and Friends into Customers – Seth Godin
- Developing the Leader Within You – John Maxwell
- Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us– Seth Godin
- The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable – Patrick Lencioni
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change – Stephen Covey
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich – Tim Ferriss
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…And Others Don’t – Jim Collins
- Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life – Spencer Johnson
This is not an exhaustive list. There are many other great books that could be added. These are 10 that have had a significant impact on my life and business.
What books would you add to the list?
Share them in the comments.
PS – In the interest of full disclosure the links above are affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. I appreciate your support in enabling me to continue to create great content to help you and your business. You can also get a 30 day free trial of Audible by clicking my affiliate link here.